In January 2015, the Norway 203040 partners identified four opportunity areas – spheres in which we imagine Norway could unlock new competitive positions, with bold and concerted collaboration between business and government. These areas were: high-tech industry; electric mobility; the bio-economy; and with finance highlighted as an additional key enabler. Yet by leveraging existing competitive advantages, and by evolving new markets where Norway already has a good starting point, the opportunity areas are wider still.
At the beginning of 2016, the Norway 203040 partners committed to phase two – a three-year coalition from 2016 to 2018. During 2016, we worked together to identify the most material themes we could take up and lead as a coalition, based on the opportunity areas identified in phase one. We prioritised six themes:
- Consumer engagement
- Electric mobility
- Low-carbon neighbourhoods
- Circular economy
- Financing low-carbon growth
- Growth in maritime sector
Building on the initial work completed in phase one, the coalition’s partners have collectively decided on four different themes which will focus the coalition’s work in 2017 and 2018. We are currently developing four pilots focusing on:
- building a social movement to advance sustainable consumer behaviour;
- developing an emission-free Svalbard;
- planning for the electrification of coalition partners’ transport fleets;
- and targeting public instruments to trigger private capital.